Skip to main content
Healthcare Banner
Email this page Share this page on Facebook Tweet this page on Twitter
Benefits for 100 percent Disabled Veterans
If you are a veteran who qualifies for a 100 percent disability rating from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), you are entitled to additional benefits not afforded to other veterans. Below is a list of benefits for 100 percent disabled veterans and their dependents.
When enrolling in the VA health care system, each veteran is assigned to a priority group. VA uses priority groups to balance demand for VA health care enrollment with resources. Due to your disability status, you will be eligible to enroll in Healthcare Priority Group 1, with no co-payments required. 
Your medical benefits package includes:
  • Preventative care
  • Primary care
  • Specialty care
  • Mental health
  • Home health care
  • Dental care
  • Vision care
  • Geriatrics and extended care
  • Medical equipment/prosthetic items and aids
  • Nursing home placement
  • Medically related travel benefits
  • Hearing aids
  • Dependent’s health care (if your dependents are not eligible under TRICARE)
  • Foreign medical care
If you are a service member or veteran with a permanent and total service-connected disability, you may be entitled to a grant from VA to help build a new specially adapted house, to adapt a home you already own or buy a house and modify it to meet your disability-related requirements. Eligible veterans or service members may now receive up to three grants, with the total dollar amount of the grants not to exceed the maximum allowable. Previous grant recipients who had received assistance of less than the current maximum allowable may be eligible for an additional grant.

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant
VA may approve a grant of not more than 50 percent of the cost of building, buying or adapting existing homes or paying to reduce indebtedness on a currently owned home that is being adapted, up to a maximum of $64,960. In certain instances, the full grant amount may be applied toward remodeling cost.

Special Home Adaption (SHA) Grant
VA may approve a benefit amount up to a maximum of $12,992, for the cost of necessary adaptations to a service member’s or veteran’s residence or to help him/her acquire a residence already adapted with special features for his/her disability, to purchase and adapt a home or for adaptations to a family member’s home in which they will reside.

Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA)
Eligible veterans and service members who are temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member may also receive a TRA grant to help the veteran or service member adapt the family member’s home to meet his or her special needs. Those eligible for a $64,960 grant would be permitted to use up to $28,515 and those eligible for a $12,992 grant would be permitted to use up to $5,092. Grant amounts are adjusted October 1 each year based on a cost-of-construction index. These adjustments will increase the grant amounts or leave them unchanged; grant amounts will not decrease. Under the Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012, TRA grant amounts will not count against SAH grant maximum amounts starting Aug. 6, 2013.

Veterans and service members with available loan guaranty entitlement may also obtain a guaranteed loan or a direct loan from VA to supplement the grant to acquire a specially adapted home.

Taxes & Fees

Property Tax Waiver
If you are a 100-percent disabled veteran or surviving spouse, you may request a waiver of property tax. The letter you receive each year from VA states whether you have received this grant.

New in 2013, the property tax exemption has been extended to include a veteran’s spouse if the veteran passes away before the tax break is granted.
If you are eligible, you can apply for the property tax waiver from the local government office issuing your property tax bill (city, village, township, etc.).

Income Tax Credit for Property Tax Paid
The state’s income tax code provides a tax credit for property tax paid by a disabled veteran or surviving spouse. This benefit varies depending on the percentage of disability rating and the family’s income. Use the MI-1040CR-2 to apply for the tax credit.

Even if no income tax is due, an eligible veteran may still submit a MI-1040CR-2 to receive the income tax credit as a tax refund.
Visit the Michigan Department of Treasury website for a copy of the form and the instructions.

Vehicle Registration
The Secretary of State will license and register your vehicle for an annual administrative fee of $5. The remainder of the annual registration and license fee is waived. Call your local Secretary of State branch office for additional information. 

Note: Ex-prisoners of war, regardless of their disability rating, are eligible for this reduced cost license plate.
Employment, Education and Training
There are numerous services available to Wounded Warriors as they transition to civilian life. These programs provide a variety of services including Wounded Warrior programs designed by individual services, vocational rehabilitation, case management and many others.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program
The VR&E program assists veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find and keep suitable jobs.  For veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, this program offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible. The VR&E Program includes the following services:
  • Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills and interests for employment
  • Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning for employment services
  • Employment services such as job-training, job-seeking skills, resume development and other work readiness assistance
  • Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives and job accommodations
  • Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school
  • Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling and medical referrals
  • Independent living services for veterans unable to work due to the severity of their disabilities
As a service member or veteran with a permanent and total service-connected disability, you may be eligible for a variety of compensation packages, including insurance and pension benefits.

Disability compensation is a tax-free monetary benefit paid to veterans with disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service. Compensation may also be paid for post-service disabilities that are considered related or secondary to disabilities occurring in service and for disabilities presumed to be related to circumstances of military service, even though they may arise after service.  
VA can pay an added compensation known as Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) in addition to the regular Disability Compensation under certain circumstances. For example, SMC may be paid to a veteran who, as a result of military service, incurred the loss or loss of use of specific organs or extremities.

If a veteran has a service connected disability at the 100 percent rate and is “housebound, bedridden or is so helpless to need the aid and attendance of another person,” then payment of additional SMC can be considered. This additional monthly payment is referred to as “Aid and Attendance and Housebound Allowance.” The amount of this extra monthly payment will vary depending on the level of aid and attendance needed.  VA also considers unusual medical expenses when determining some needs-based pension and compensation payments.

Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection (TSGLI)
TSGLI helps severely injured servicemembers who have suffered physical losses through their time of need with a one-time payment. The amount varies depending on the loss, but it could make a difference in the lives of servicemembers by allowing their families to be with them during their recovery. TSGLI helps with unforeseen expenses or provides a financial head start on life after recovery. After Dec. 1, 2005, all servicemembers who are covered by Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (SGLI) are automatically also covered by TSGLI. TSGLI cannot be declined unless the servicemember also declines basic SGLI. TSGLI claims are adjudicated by the individual military branches of service. In addition, there is retroactive TSGLI coverage for servicemembers who sustained a qualifying loss between Oct. 7, 2001 and Nov. 30, 2005, regardless of where it occurred. TSGLI coverage is payable to these servicemembers regardless of whether they had SGLI coverage in force.

Service-Disabled Veterans’ Insurance
Veterans who are totally disabled may apply for a waiver of premiums and additional supplemental insurance coverage of up to $30,000. However, premiums cannot be waived on the additional supplemental insurance. To be eligible for this type of supplemental insurance, veterans must meet the following three requirements:
  • Be under age 65
  • Be eligible for a waiver of premiums due to total disability
  • Apply for additional insurance within one year from the date of notification of waiver approval on the basic S-DVI policy
Veterans’ Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI)
VMLI is mortgage protection insurance available to severely disabled veterans who have been approved by VA for a SAH. Maximum coverage is the smaller of the existing mortgage balance or $200,000, and is payable only to the mortgage company.  Protection is issued automatically following SAH approval, provided the veteran submits mortgage information required to establish a premium and does not decline coverage. Coverage automatically terminates when the mortgage is paid off.  If a mortgage is disposed of through sale of the property, VMLI may be obtained on the mortgage of another home.

Improved Disability Pension 
Veterans with low incomes who are permanently and totally disabled, or are age 65 and older, may be eligible for a type of monetary support known as Disability Pension. To qualify for this benefit, veterans must have 90 days or more of active military service, at least one day of which was during a period of war. Veterans who entered active duty on or after Sept. 8, 1980, or officers who entered active duty on or after Oct. 16, 1981, may have to meet a longer minimum period of active duty. In addition, the veteran’s discharge must have been under conditions other than dishonorable and the disability must be for reasons other than the veteran’s own willful misconduct.

Benefits for dependents

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant
The Children of Veterans Tuition Grant provides undergraduate tuition assistance to the child of a veteran who died while on active federal duty or who has been awarded a total and permanent disability rating from VA. The grant is administered by the Michigan Department of Treasury. Call 888-447-2687 for more information.